Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payara keeper help.

Gallery

Cursing Payara keeper help.

I have 2 armatus in a 125 at 4 inches. normaly they eat like crazy but there starting to slow down on eating and are starting to nose rub. my tat did this befor but I dimmed the lights and he stoped. I did the same for them and they wont stop even with dim lights. the woont stop till the lights are off. I have a thing of driftwood in there that they like to hide behind. the tem is wam and like in the 80s or alittle more like 82. I do water changes 2-3xs aweek at 30%. There in a totaly dark room so they dont see me when I come in and spook them, this will change once they get bigger Ill oppen the blinds once there about 6 inch. can some one help give me some Ideas please. these fish are my babies and ive kept tigerfish and other payaras and they normaly stop when I do all this.
    thank you!

Gallery
    it cant be the filtration since I have (3) 110g filters with 2 jets with undergravil filters and about 100gs of airpumps aswell

Gallery
    Try to give them some hiding spots (like drift wood or plants) or get some current going in the tank.
    PREDATORY FISH KEEPING FORUM

Gallery
    Try adding some boisterous tankmates

Gallery
    thanks guys but i got a handle on it now. I took the blines down and let the outside light come in mixed with a small led light and they stoped. and the feeding problem befor , There just not as hugary as they were befor so Ive just started slowing down on the feedings. I havrnt seen them rub or anything since. there alot different then all the other payaras Ive had befor. They like being awair of things on the outside of the tank if that makes sence. they dont really seam to be sacared of me since i took some new pics ill post in a bit

Gallery

Gallery
    Try to cut down on water change and let them settle down

Registered
    Gallery
    Give them some time to settle down , try not stress them much.

Gallery
    should I leave the lights off for a wile?

Registered
    Gallery
    If possible yes , once they stable down . They will eat & get bigger like my current piece
    Nw almost 15 inch, defect free .

Gallery
    wow man that pic got my rocks going! awesome! but the thing is Ive have them amonth at 2 inches and the have dubbled in size and now ther 4 inches. and there just now doing this? is that commen eith them? they have een eatting like pigs. besides the nose rubbing there fine and they dont do it all the time.

when they do rub its about 7 in the morning so ill tun the lights on and they will go back under the drift wood cave I made for them, and then they rub around 10 at night and thats when I normaly turn the lights off so they would stop.

shound I take away there diding spot or wait for them to get larger?

Gallery
    o and thank you freedomivan I really like the Pic
    and when they do start rubbing what should I do? or just try to find anyway for them to stop?
    Last edited by Deubie Doo; 14-06-2012 at 23:41.

Gallery
    It's pretty common for juv H.armatus to rub their noses in front of tank in darkness esp newly introduced ones. They'll stop as they get used to their environment. This may take as long as a month or two. Try to on aquarium lights before and when feeding although they hunt more freely in dim.Also stay near in front to watch them hunt. I believe we should get fishes to get used to our regime etc instead of us... I suggest no hiding place for them this way they be less skittish, more outgoing and also lesser chances of them injuring themselves having scars on them in future. And yes Juv armatus have blow balloon growth rate and can easily grow from 2"- 12" or more in ard 4-6months time depending on food, tank space, water changes etc.
    Last edited by j666; 15-06-2012 at 01:02.

Gallery
    Sorry, they do rub in lights or no lights conditions in my experience.

Registered
    Gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Deubie Doo View Post
    o and thank you freedomivan I really like the Pic
    and when they do start rubbing what should I do? or just try to find anyway for them to stop?
    Np,just give more time to the fish ,it will adapt to yr environment .Once they reach about 10-12 inch , they will be more stable most of time swimming mid level.
    My Armtaus soon going outgrow my tank ,wil be clearing it soon. If not monster fish

Thread Information